RSS FEED

கற்றது தமிழ்

July 19- Yesterday was a wake up call. A call to have a good look at myself,an evaluation of me being an Indian. The funny thing is that it came from the wise words of one Vijaya T. Rajendar. I know this sounds daft, but i mean it. As some of you reading this might know, this man is notorious with his punch-lines,mostly about his love for his little sister 
(hold for laughter).
But it was on அரட்டை அரங்கம் , a show which airs on every Sunday morning that this man gave a rant which opened my eyes about the state of us Indians. He talked about on how we communicate among each other in 
தமிழ் and corrupt it by adding in English phrases in a conversation. That was like a direct shot at me.
From the moment that i was born, I've been raised to speak only in English,i don't know what's the real reason behind it, maybe my parents want me to be surrounded in an English "society"...despite the fact that i eat rice and curry for like what,20 years or so?
I felt ashamed about it, it's as though like i'm some high-end kid or something. I took the initiative to learn speaking in my mother tongue, and at seven, spoke my first words of தமிழ் to an old lady at my school. Damn was i so proud of it. And it followed throughout the latter stages of my life, and even though i'm not in a range of a philosopher or anything, i am able to read in தமிழ் at least.
Even when i had my haircut yesterday, this Indian lady was bitching with her husband on the phone in Indian-ized English, adding up English phrases like my man T.R said earlier. It seems we're still the Sipahi's for the English then.  When would this stop among ourselves,that i don't have a clue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Return top